Wednesday, November 16, 2016

I had a dream...

I woke up this morning from the weirdest dream. I don't remember much of it anymore, but the part that sticks out was about The Baby-Sitters Club, so I'mma gonna talk about it here.

In this part of the dream, I was in a used bookstore. I still don't have the entire series (although I have more than enough to keep me going for about a year more before I'll start to have gaps in my read-through), so whenever I'm in a used bookstore, I'm always on the hunt for my missing books. Anyways, in a bin, I came across a whole bunch of Sweet Valley books and Baby-Sitters Club books and just everything I could ever hope for. At first, I found a bunch of books I had, and then eventually some that I was missing. But then I found a book I had never seen before!

It was called "Claudia the Potential Tutor?", and it was labelled as #7. Now, we all know that in the series, #7 is "Claudia and Mean Janine". Well, apparently in my dream, they had decided to re-release the series in 2016, and this was part of the re-release. In addition to updating the content of the original novels, they also scrapped some of the ones they didn't think worked, and replaced them with new stories, that they thought would be more relevant.

I didn't end up reading it in my dream, because my dream never got me to the checkout line and then subsequently home, but I did skim through it (the way I would immediately at a bookstore). From what I could see, it's the start of grade 8, and Claudia is struggling to keep up. In order to help her to gain confidence and retain the knowledge she already learned, the teachers recruit her for a new peer tutoring program. At first, Claudia doesn't think she's smart enough, but as she helps the 6th and 7th graders with their homework, she realizes that she's smarter than she thinks. She becomes more confident in her academic abilities, develops better study habits, and is even able to ask her peers for help when needed. In the end, while Claudia still struggles with school, she agrees that the program was a good idea and that she's learned a lot from it.

Things that stuck out to me in my dream (which I remember running around and pointing out to my friends) was just how... 2016 it was. Not only was the cover completely different than all the other books, but the way the girls spoke was very 2016. They said stuff like, "my bad" and "O-M-G" and "bae" and other things.

Anyways, it was a super weird dream and just really stuck out to me haha

2 comments:

  1. I used to have dreams like this all the time for BSC and The Sleepover Friends. I was so disappointed to wake up and realize those books weren't real. What does this say about us?!

    ReplyDelete