Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Random Thought...

Haha I was just sitting here, going through my collection of Baby-Sitter Club books and Sweet Valley books (got a few I was missing for Christmas), thinking about how this all started. Like, when I first started reading the books. I don't remember what my first Sweet Valley book was (although I know it was one of the Sweet Valley Kids books), but I'm pretty sure my first Baby-Sitters Club book was Super Mystery #2 Baby-Sitters Beware!. It wasn't my first AMM book (I had been reading the Little Sister series for ages by then), but it was my first Baby-Sitters Club book, which then got me reading the rest of the series.

I remember picking it up because I was perusing the slightly older section of my local library for a change, and the cover and title got my attention. I don't remember my library having the world's greatest selection of books, but it had enough, because I've read most of the Baby-Sitters Club books.

But that was the public library. I know my school library had a bunch of Baby-Sitters Club books, but oddly enough, my most vivid image of my school library is of the Sweet Valley High shelf. I remember seeing those books (my school library had the larger hardcover library editions) and thinking, "Those are for older kids. Way older than me." haha

As such, I didn't end up reading any Sweet Valley High books until I was in high school (and by then, I was reading them for shits and giggles and fun frivolous beach reading 'cause I could get them for a 1$ each at the used bookstore near my house). I had read tons of Sweet Valley Twins, and of course, all the Baby-Sitters Club. But not Sweet Valley High. Those were TOO HARDCORE!

Funny the memories that stick with you haha

1 comment:

  1. It is funny what sticks with you! I can still see the colorful shelves in our little public library and wanting to read all of them but not in order.

    I know I was reading the BSC in third grade, probably around the time the second super special came out. I absolutely remember getting #30 brand new and talking about it while walking to school. And freaking out when Mallory spent all of her money on makeup in SS #6. But I can't remember the first one I read. Maybe it was Mallory and the Trouble with Twins or Boy Crazy Stacey?

    I knew Sweet Valley High was way too old for me but my mom never thought to censor anything I read so I was really confused about the one when Suzanne from New York comes to Sweet Valley and mentions cocaine. Oh the 80's!
    I do remember the first Sleepover Friends book I read. #11 Stephanie's Family Secret. Man I loved those books!

    ReplyDelete